Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Back in the saddle…



… and out of the wheelchair! It’s been a while since I sent an update.  I relinquished the wheelchair and crutches in September, and walked a 5k in Walla Walla in October! YAY! We also walked a 5k this past weekend and we had our best elapsed time ever -- 59 minutes and 14 seconds.  Under an hour! That bested our previous best time by about 5 minutes.  We’re going to do one more 5k in December, and then we’ll see what’s in store for next year. I don’t know that I’ll be able to match 59:14, but walking without pain is its own reward. ;-)

Every once in a while my knee gets unhappy, but for the most part it’s doing really well. I still get a twinge going up stairs now and then, but not at the spot where I had the stress fracture. My physical therapist said that the muscles around my knee were a little tight and atrophied, and that might be causing the problem. He taught me how to not walk like a duck (I’m still working on that one) and I’m walking about 3 times a week for about 40 minutes to keep walking so I don’t re-injure myself when I go to walk 3 miles.  

I hope this finds you all well - have a wonderful holiday season!!
Blessings,
Kristin

2 comments:

ab said...

Make sure you have good arch support in your shoes. My knees stopped popping when I ditched the poor arch support for my flat feet.

Unknown said...

So proud and happy for you Kristin. Having watched my mom recover from knee surgery, several times, I know how hard you have to work.

Keep up the good fight, and I hope to see you and several other Boeing friends sometime in the near future.

We hope you and Bill have an amazing Thanksgiving.

Glitter Graphics